Good morning! Can you believe it is already December 10th? I always feel like November and December fly by! Only two weeks until Christmas! Yesterday I showed you the DIY Play Market I made for Bugaboo’s Christmas gift, today I’d like to share with you the felt food I made to go with it!
I love the idea of felt food, its so soft and vibrant. I’ve seen lots of beautiful sets of felt food – from Land of Nod, to Melissa & Doug, to tons of Etsy sellers! I knew I could make my own collection of felt food – for just the cost of felt and stuffing! Pinterest is a great source for making your own felt food – there are tons of pictures and free tutorials. I found this post, How to Make Felt Food by Apartment Therapy, especially helpful! It is a collection of free patterns and tutorials listed by food type. I found several of the tutorials I ended up using by clicking on the links found in this article.
I found a pattern on sale at Jo-Ann Fabrics that I used to make a number of the foods. I bought the pattern because I liked the eggs and egg carton. I was happy I purchased it since I think it sped up the process. With all the free online tutorials it isn’t necessary to buy a pattern, but it was a nice time saver and the sale price was worth it!
Here is my own list of the felt food I made and the sources for each!
- Grapes: While Wearing Heels
- Pears: My Creative Place
- Beets: Cut Out + Keep
- Corn on the Cob: While Wearing Heels (I haven’t made this yet but plan to!)
- Potatoes and sack: It Happens in a Blink (I made my bag a little different)
- Onion: While Wearing Heels
- Pineapple: I made up myself
- Watermelon: I made up myself
- Breads: I made up myself
- Strawberries: Simplicity Pattern
- Orange: Simplicity Pattern
- Apples: Simplicity Pattern
- Banana: Simplicity Pattern
- Tomato: Simplicity Pattern
- Squash: Simplicity Pattern
- Pumpkin: Simplicity Pattern
- Carrots: Simplicity Pattern
- Eggplant: Simplicity Pattern
- Eggs and egg carton: Simplicity Pattern
I’d like to eventually make desserts and pastries in case Bugaboo wants to open a bakery. It would also be a lot of fun to make felt flowers and create a floral shop! The kids could arrange them in different size cups and baskets! The possibilities with felt are seriously endless and it helps that I keep finding felt on sale! Once you start making things from felt its hard to stop!